Mutt Lover: My Mixed-Up Pup


My Mixed-Up Pup

Let me tell you about my mixed-up pup, Phoebe.

I've been told plenty of times that she looks like a coyote. I've also been told that she looks like a Belgian Tervuren, so go figure. Her true parentage is a mystery to us. Border Collie and German Shepherd, as far as we can tell, but only her mother knows the truth.

Phoebe was a rescue pup. We picked her up at the age of ten weeks. Actually, she picked us, truth be told. While we were visiting the puppy pen, she followed me everywhere I went. Even when I ventured outside the pen, she was right on my heels. And when we went back into the pen, she curled up next my son and fell asleep. That was it. She made it quite clear that she was coming home with us that day.

We've been through three levels of obedience and two levels of agility with Phoebe. And she was really, reeeeaaallllyyy good at it, too. I'd love to go for more agility training, maybe compete for the fun of it, but it'll have to wait until the funds are more readily available. So, until then, the plan is to build some equipment for the back yard and continue practicing on our own.

Sure, she has looks and brains, but Phoebe is one heck of a character, too. Teaching a dog tricks in one thing. Having them 'perform' all on their own is another form of entertainment altogether.

For example, Phoebe has made no bones (pardon the pun) about letting us know that she hates Milk Bone dog biscuits. Old Mother Hubbard cookies, she'll eat without delay. Give her a Milk Bone and watch the show.

First, you'll get 'the look'. She'll take the Milk Bone gingerly between her teeth and look up at you with eyes that are clearly saying, "And what the heck do you expect me to do with this?"

Then she'll take it to her over-sized doggie pillow, place it gently in the center of the bed and try to 'deal with it'. She'll push down on it with her nose repeatedly.

When that doesn't dispense with the unpleasantness that is on her bed, she'll talk to it while pushing down on it. A high-pitched, whiney "rowr"with every prod.

After some time, when the Milk Bone doesn't respond by leaving her space, she'll start circling her bed while pushing at the covering with her nose in what I can only assume is an attempt to bury the offending cookie. But, alas, the bed is not made of soft earth and will, therefore, not move to cover up the nasty biscuit.

So, Phoebe will seemingly abandon her bed - that is, until you're no longer paying attention. Come back to the scene of the crime a few moments later and you'll find that the Milk Bone has indeed disappeared. Has she eaten it? Good heavens, no! No, my funny little Wile E will have waited until your back was turned and then she will have hidden it. One of her favourite spots is between the sofa cushions.

Once we started finding them, though, she searched out better hiding places. The latest is the pile of dirty laundry on my husband's side of the bed. I believe that one was in protest. You see, he was making such a big deal out of the whole thing the last time he gave her a Milk Bone (he loves to hear her 'talk' to the cookies), that I'm pretty sure she placed it there to send a clear message, "You like the damned cookie so much, you eat it!"

Technorati Tags: ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

» Post a Comment